Michelle Hunt of Peachy Palate has created an incredible Summer Tomatoes Flatbread for our first guest recipe in the #DollardCooks series.
Super fresh, seasonal, quality ingredients don’t require complex preparations or recipes. A simple homemade gluten free and vegan friendly (if you so wish) flatbread is all these beautiful heirloom tomatoes need to shine. A little honey to help the sweetness pop, walnuts for crunch and fresh basil because it’s just a fragrant blissful match made in heaven!
- 60g oats
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 large egg, whisked or 1 flax egg (1 tbsp ground flax + 3 tbsp water)*
- ¼ cup (60ml) milk of choice; I used almond milk milk!
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp garlic powder garlic powder
- ¼ tsp Pink Himalayan Rock salt
- 1 tsp coconut oil for cooking
- 30g Violife Cream Cheese / Cream Cheese / Mozzarella
- 3 small heirloom tomatoes sliced
- Small handful fresh basil
- 1 tsp Sarah’s Wonderful Honey with walnuts
- 10g walnuts, toasted and chopped
*Mix together water and flax and let sit for 5 minutes until eggy in consistency
Preheat oven to 100C (210F).
Slice tomatoes. Place on a non-stick baking tray and place into the oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour depending on how “slow roasted” you want them to be. The longer you roast them the more sun-kissed, shriveled and sweet they will be!
Blend together flatbread ingredients in a NutriBullet or high speed blender.
Melt coconut oil in a non stick 10 inch pan over a medium heat. Pour in bread batter. Allow to cook for 3 minutes and then place under the grill to cook for 2 minutes; this makes it so much easier to flip. Return to the stovetop, flip and cook for 3 minutes more.
Place on cooling rack.
Once the tomatoes are cooked you can serve up the flatbread while they are warm or allow them cool, depending on your preference.
Spread flatbread with cream cheese, Violife dairy free “cream cheese” or soft white cheese of choice.
Top with tomatoes. Sprinkle over walnuts, drizzle with honey and garnish with fresh basil.
THIS DISH SERVES: 1
PREP TIME: 10 Mins
COOKING TIME: 45 – 60 Mins